This Day in the Life

A blog from the creators of the This Day book series

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thissss Day in the Life

At my desk in my home office, I pull out my “recruiting” file—a list of names of women, or categories of working women I’ve been gathering over the past year or so to invite as day diarists for the book project. Today, “SnakeBabe” happens to be at the top of the pile. She is one of the most famous female magicians in the country, and has performed everywhere from Animal Planet to The Jerry Springer Show to Las Vegas’s Adult Entertainment Expo.

I check out the SnakeBabe’s website. Her real name is Maria Gara and her magic act is called “Venom.” It includes, among other things, fire eating and pulling a python out of a male audience member’s pants. Billed “The World’s Sexiest Magician,” I can see from the photos and videos on her website that this claim is definitely not hype. In life, many things intimidate me, among them sexy women who can eat fire, snakes, and cold calling (including cold e-mailing). Nevertheless, I start typing…

“Dear SnakeBabe…” Scratch that. I’m writing to a person, not a SnakeBabe.

“Dear Ms. Gara…” Scratch that. Given the personal nature of this project, it feels more fitting to start off immediately on a first-name basis. I figure if this level of familiarity offends a potential day diarist, well then I doubt if they’d be willing to share the intimate details of their work and personal lives for the reading public anyway.

I start again… “Dear Maria, I am the creator of the book series This Day in the Life, and would love for you to participate in this national book project…” In the e-mail, I offer an overview of the book and how its mission is to allow readers to see beyond the labels, stereotypes, and job titles by which women are so often defined. In closing, I thank Maria for her consideration then press “send.”

A few days later the phone rings and my eight-year-old daughter, Thea, answers it. She finds me, as usual, at my desk. I’m riffling through more names on my recruiting wish list: bomb squad women; Wal-Mart sales associates; Newsweek’s list of the next generation of leaders in their field. I’m building up the courage to e-mail Queen Latifah (an entertainer, business-woman, and role model according to the article in Newsweek) when Thea hands me the portable. A woman’s voice comes over the line, “Hi, this is Maria.”

My mind draws a blank.

“The SnakeBabe,” she prompts.

Omigosh!

Maria is enthusiastic about contributing to This Day in the Life of Working Women. I answer her questions and she tells me about her work rescuing reptiles and promoting their proper care, and how she is currently installing some kind of sophisticated technology on her and her husband’s websites. Over the phone, it is easy to forget that I am talking to America’s Sexiest Magician; a fire-eating femme fatale. Maria agrees to confirm her participation as a day diarist, and we say our friendly goodbyes.

Buoyed by this conversation, I return to the wish list on my desk, eager to continue recruiting day diarists. In life, as I mentioned earlier, many things intimidate me, among them bomb squads, sales associates, and the next generation of leaders in their field. Nevertheless, I start typing,“Dear Queen Latifah…” Scratch that. If I’m going to stick to my decision to address potential day diarists by their first names rather than their surnames or titles, then I shouldn’t make any exceptions, even for royalty.

I start again. “Dear Latifah, I am the creator of the book series This Day in the Life, and would love for you to participate in this national book project…” As I finish the e-mail, I thank Latifah for her consideration and press send. Almost. Then I think of Maria, with her fun, sexy, reptile-loving personality, and I revise the closing to my letter. “Thank you for your consideration… Hugs and Hissessss, Joni.”

Scratch that, I decide, after the briefest reflection. I’m no SnakeBabe, but I’m lucky to know one.

-Joni

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Kara Edwards said...

For the record...I though using my first name on the e-mail was a nice touch :)

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger simplicity said...

TOO Funny! Good luck with Latifah!

I'd LOVE to participate in this event/writing activity. Please contact me with more details or how to sign up....thanks much.

samarapostuma (at) earthlink (dot) net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home