This Day in the Life

A blog from the creators of the This Day book series

Friday, December 21, 2007

Off to the Printer!

Just last week, the final typeset files for the third “This Day” book were shipped to the printer.

Phew.

The book—now called Water Cooler Diaries: Women across America Share Their Day at Work—will be released in early March from Da Capo Lifelong Books, part of the Perseus Book Group. I can’t wait to see an actual printed copy, but right now seems like a good time to look back, rather than forward, to reflect on how this book became a reality.

For me, much of this past year was a whirlwind—from what I can remember! First were the months spent doing my part to invite women across the country to participate in the book project. Then more months spent reading and re-reading hundreds of day diaries. Then the long process of choosing which entries to feature, trolling through thousands of excerpts, constituting the book, reconstituting the book, editing the book, interviewing day diarists, brainstorming titles, writing copy for the back cover, and doing all the other things it takes to see a book through to publication. (Just the process of getting our author photo taken seemed Herculean, given that Bindi and I both had to not blink or look goofy at the same time.)

I have to admit, on some of those marathon workdays this past year, when my eyes burned from editing at the computer screen for hours on end, and when summer vacation came and went (mostly with me saying to my then eight-year-old daughter for the umpteenth time, “Go find something to do on your own...”), I had a few mental meltdowns. But then I got a grip. Because creating this book truly has been a labor of love.

As with the two earlier This Day volumes, Water Cooler Diaries reinforces an important message. Every woman is interesting (including all those participants who asked us, "But why would anyone want to read about my day?") After reading thousands of day diaries over three book projects, I believe this now more than ever. Young, old, rich, poor, working with or without a paycheck, we all have meaningful moments worth writing about, even in our “ordinary” days.

Seeing Water Cooler Diaries off to the printer is hardly the end of my “To Do” list. I’ve moved on to other projects, other deadlines, and of course I'm already in the throes of publicity efforts for the new book's release in early March. But I’d be remiss not to stop, if only briefly, and take this day to appreciate what has already been achieved.

We did it! Me, Bindi, Nancy (our webmistress and dear friend), Katie McHugh (our editor at Da Capo Lifelong Books), Lisa Bankoff (our agent at ICM), Kim Erlichson (who helped set in motion the National Day Diary Project with Colgate's Lady Speed Stick 24/7), dozens of organizations and friends and readers who supported the book project, and of course the hundreds of day diarists across the country who volunteered to chronicle a day in their life on March 27, 2007.

Together, we made Water Cooler Diaries a reality. So congratulations to each and every one of us, and thank you one and all!

Joni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home